Wednesday, March 30, 2011

SHARON'S FAVORITE VERSES #2

JOB 19:25

"I know that my Redeemer liveth and that He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth."

How absolutely awesome! There are so many aspects of this verse that make it a precious diamond to be treasured in the heart and to be esteemed more precious than any earthly thing. No one knows for sure, but Job lived around 2,000 years before the birth of Christ. That in itself is enough to make it wonderful. Job, speaking by the Holy Spirit, saw the Redeemer...his Redeemer...with the eyes of faith. Who could make up such a story?

And then, you just can't help but gasp when he says, "Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book! That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever!" I know the first time I really noticed those words, I found myself talking excitedly to Job..."They were, Job! Your words are preserved for ever! They are all over the place, Job!" Truly, they are. Think how many people all around the globe have read about Job down through the ages, and have been touched indelibly by this passage especially.

Just one more thing: Job, in the midst of catastrophe, saw Jesus, and not only saw Him but understood who He was and that He is the Victor! In the midst of catastrophe! Far worse circumstances than most of us can claim. I think he saw Jesus because Jesus was near. Let me tell you why I think that.

Remember Jeremiah in the pit? When you read the story in Jeremiah, it is meaningful; but when you read his take on it found in Lamentations 4, you find that he cried out to the Lord, and Jesus came near and said, "Do not fear."

Then, think of the disciples out on the stormy sea, seasoned fishermen, scared to death. Jesus was nearby. He said, "Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid." He was close at hand.

Joshua, facing the battle of Jericho and undoubtedly greatly exercised by the prospect, found himself face to face with Jesus. There is no record of him saying, "I know that my Redeemer liveth," but I bet he thought it!

Why does this verse mean so much to me? I think it's because of the miraculous in it. Thousands of years before Christ's entrance into the world as a baby, and even longer until the "latter days," a noteworthy man, in the middle of great trouble, said...basically..."This is the most horrid time of my life, yet I will make it through because I know that my Redeemer lives." In the time of despair, this is the only truth worth counting on.

No comments: