Thursday, April 14, 2011

OLD HYMN...No, Not Despairingly

Have you ever prayed a prayer like this? I discovered this hymn while attending Moody. I didn't have to memorize the words...they became part of me immediately.

When you get to the second verse, don't be tempted to think that it's about someone else...sin upon sin means things like gossip and contention and pride and flirting and lack of trust and coveting and exaggeration, better known as lying.

Praise God for that part of His plan that gives us the opportunity to come before Him and confess our sin, and then to experience His forgiveness!

NO, NOT DESPARINGLY

No, not desparingly, come I to Thee;
No, not distrustingly, bend I the knee.
Sin has gone over me, yet is this still my plea,
Jesus hath died.

Ah, my iniquity crimson hath been,
Infinite, infinite, sin upon sin;
Sin of not loving Thee, sin of not trusting Thee,
Infinite sin

Lord, I confess to Thee sadly my sin;
All I am tell I Thee, All I have been!
Purge Thou my sin away, Wash Thou my soul this day,
Lord make me clean.

Faithful and just art Thou, forgiving all;
Loving and kind art Thou When poor ones call.
Lord, let the cleansing blood, Blood of the Lamb of God,
Pass o'er my soul.

Then all is peace and light This soul within;
Thus shall I walk with Thee, the loved Unseen;
Leaning on Thee, my God, Guided along the road,
Nothing between."

And yes, I needed this song in a very special way when I was nineteen. I'm glad I learned about His forgiveness way back then!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Interesting -- I was just thinking of this song today as I am reading Jerry Bridges book "Respectable Sins". (An excellent read, I might add.) I was encouraged to see your blog at the top of my Google Search, and I as well understand the need for the mercy and grace of God in my life everyday -- because of "infinite sins".
I too am a grad of MBI (1978) and am wondering if this is where I first heard this hymn. :-)
Thanks for posting.