Tuesday, March 15, 2011

CAN GOD PROVIDE A TABLE IN THE WILDERNESS?

(Please read yesterday's post first.)

Psalm 78:19 And they tempted God in their heart by asking meat for their lust. Yea, they spake against God; they said, Can God furnish a table in the wilderness?

When I read this passage as a teenager…actually, the whole chapter…I was faced with a choice for the life that was before me. I knew it. I knew, too, that in reality, there was a good deal of Sharon Brock in the description of Israel’s journey through the wilderness. Yet, embedded deep in my heart was a desire that my life not be marked by unbelief and disobedience. The passage burned an aspiration to never let these words…or their spirit…proceed from my heart.

In my new life as a widow, I found myself spending many hours at the computer, typing away at my devotional book and various others I had started. My makeshift computer corner was pretty sad. I picked up a couple of pieces of furniture for a few bucks at the resale stores and my back bore the brunt of it. I needed a real desk.

So, Angela and I set out to find a one…her suggestion was to get an office table…and we searched for many weeks. We found the one we liked but it was $269. Although Angela said she would pay for it, I was so uncomfortable spending that much money, hers or mine. In my heart, I wanted to trust God for something much cheaper. We agreed to keep looking.

One day, after more resale shop searching, I decided to go to take a peek at the wonderful $269 black table. Maybe it would be on sale. As I climbed out of the purple truck, two geese flew not 10 feet over my head. “I love you, too, Lord,” I said out loud. (See the Geese Story on page ??) In a real way, I sensed that God was telling me to go in and get the desk and not worry about the price. When I walked in the door, there it was on display! It was not on sale. I walked about the store looking at other furniture and ran into another one with a 20% Off sign on it. That made it $219. I called Angela. She said, “Get it, Mom.” I was still unhappy with the price, but I agreed.

In the next few minutes, I was to experience God’s great ability and desire to “furnish a table in the wilderness.” The clerk told me she could take off another 10% if I would put the purchase on a card. “Fine,” I thought, “I’ll never use the card anymore anyway.” She gave me the paperwork. I sat down at the desk and filled it out while she went to bring an unassembled desk in a box from the back.

Soon she appeared with a sad face. “No more desks,” she said. For a moment I, too, was sad, but then asked if I could have one of the floor pieces. “Wellll,” she said, “I guess I could do that.” She squinted her eyes as she did some thinking. “If we do that I could knock off another, hmmmm, 40%.” Such a smile I had in my heart. I didn’t dare look too excited lest I upset the plan. I tried to do quick math to see what another 40% off would mean, but the conversation distracted me.

I called Angela as I went back and forth between the two desks trying to decide which one to take. “You’re not going to believe what is happening here!” She wanted to know but I told her I’d have to call her back. At the front, I stood silently as the two employees tried to put this amazing transaction into the register. They handed me a slip to sign. I signed.

I did not look at the amount until I was out of the store. $63.21. I had walked out of the store with a $269 desk in perfect condition for $63.21! Two employees put it in the back of Ken’s truck and I started home knowing full well what had happened. I was happy and humbled at God’s intimacy with me. My great God had truly furnished a table in my wilderness!

No comments: